Yarado - How to discover Use cases

RPA is versatile - so are the discussions on how to use it. Quite often conversations are all around what the capabilities are of RPA. When it comes to making this more tangible I’ve found the following useful:

Divide your tasks into 4 categories:

  1. Automation of Admin work → Primary systems, all (routine) work related to the primary used system. That can be ERP, a financial system or CRM. (Some companies work e.g. 80% in SAP). Quite often this is about data-entry.

  2. Automation of admin work outside of primary systems - e.g. when 80% of your work happens in SAP. where is the other 20%? Logging into portals, retrieving usage data, invoices, excel files etc. When there 's no API this is an ideal starting point for RPA.

  3. Reporting and dashboards. Well known for its routines, monthly, quarterly, board preps or weekly statements. When 80% is in your primary system, 20% in other systems and we can work on both… Reporting and dashboards becomes an easy task with RPA.

  4. Deployment, testing, monitoring etc. When RPA tasks do not fall in the 3 buckets above … it is not always routine. It is about a lot of work, at once, like a data migration. Or you would like to do something that currently cannot be done, for instance checking availability, checking your own SLA or data clean ups in ERP. Not so much routine? A lot of work will do as well.

Most companies have at least one direct hit on number 1-2-3. A great way to start…

3 Likes